Friday, January 7, 2011

Will it Ferment?- Chocolate Ovaltine and Whoppers

This blog's primary purpose is to give me an excuse to brew more frequently. Its secondary purpose is to help me record some fun, experimental beers done with unusual ingredients.


The plan is to do 1-2 small ~ 4L batches per month, featuring strange ingredients. If I get something good out of an experiment, I'll try to extract the good parts and eliminate the bad parts, eventually resulting in a good recipe, worthy of sharing with the world.


My first brew will contain chocolate Ovaltine and Whoppers (chocolate malt balls). From the ingredients label, in the Ovaltine, we have: 
  • Sugar- good! Yeast loves it! More alcohol. No clue as to what kind of sugar, though, unfortunately.
  • Cocoa- ok- chocolate in beer isn't too unusual. Can add some nice flavor.
  • Whey- not so good- whey is a milk protein and I can't think of anything good that come out of that.
  • Barley Malt Extract- Hey-o! That sounds familiar! 
  • Beet Juice Color- Shouldn't affect taste.
  • Mono- and diacylglycerols - WTF are these? According to wikipedia, "Mono- and diacylglycerols are common food additives used to blend together certain ingredients, such as oil and water, which would not otherwise blend well." Ok?
  • Molasses- Yum! More sugars for the yeast. Should add some unique flavoring.
  • Natural Caramel Flavor and Artificial Vanilla Flavor- Cool, maybe the flavors will come through
  • Soy Lecithin- another weird chemical thing. Apparently, it prevents sticking. I hope it doesn't affect head retention. Head is always good.
  • 8 Vitamins and Minerals- I won't go through them all. Food for yeast, I hope?
The Whoppers have a similar ingredient list, nothing too alarming. Here's to a good first brew!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like one of the best ideas ever. Not the ovaltine, whoppers thing... only time will tell. But the blog idea. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreeing with Zach. Text is so minial though - please get a web came out so you can take many pictures of your process. Also a frequent log on the yeast / Gravity activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, I took lots of pictures of my progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wait, just the whoppers and ovaltine, or as a % of a regular beer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here I was expecting a Burger King Porter.

    ReplyDelete