Sunday, January 9, 2011

Is it just me or does it smell like Chocolate in here?

The big day! Mistakes were made, fun was had, tears were shed. The final recipe I settled on, based on my stocks and some educated guesses-

Makes about 4L of "beer"-
Whoppers, Pre-Crushing
  • 12.2 oz Chocolate Ovaltine (a standard container)
  • 3.5 oz of Whoppers
  • 1/2 lb light DME
  • 1/4 lb Chocolate Malt
  • 1/4 lb Black Roast Malt
  • 1/2 tsp Gypsum
  • 1/2 oz Fuggle hops (60 min)
  • 1/4 oz Goldings hops (60 min)
  • 1/8 oz Fuggle hops (15 min)
  • 1/4 tsp Irish Moss
  • Harvested Rogue Chocolate Stout (Pacman, I believe) yeast.
Whoppers, Post Crushing
My brewing technique was typical for extract brewing. I steeped the grain at about 160°F for 30 minutes. Then I removed the spent grain bag and added the "extracts" (including whoppers and Ovaltine) as well as my boiling hops and gypsum. At the appropriate time, I added the finishing hops and Irish moss, then sparged.


I included some light DME, and probably should have done more or a second container of Ovaltine, but by the time I realized how little Ovaltine was actually in the container and how low my supplies are, I'd already started. I crushed up the whoppers before adding them to the mix, but this was probably unnecessary as they disintegrated pretty quickly.

Nothing too unusual in the process, except that there was tons of trub when I strained during the transfer, and the whole house smelled like hot chocolate. Mmmm... but not as good as the usual brew smell.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to take it, but according to a commenter's calculation, it was around 1.060

    ReplyDelete