Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ovaltine Beer - Week 2 synopsis

Day 8 - Slowed down a bunch, to 30 spb. There's also a ton of krausen built up now, to the top of the bottle. Hopefully it doesn't go over before I have a chance to set up a blow off tube tonight.

Also, got a $50 bonus from work for helping make it a "great place to work!" I did this by bringing in and sharing my beer. Awesome. What to spend it on...

Day 9 - This morning, the krausen built up enough to completely clog the top of my fermenter. I scraped it out with a butter knife, got about 2 tablespoon's worth. The krausen is really weird - waxy and much thicker than usual. Probably from the wax in the whoppers. I kind of regretting adding them now.

When I got home, I got another tablespoon's worth of wax krausen.

Day 10- Cleaned out more krausen. Maybe time to transfer to secondary? I set up a blow tube as well. Not really a lot in terms of bubbling, though.

Day 11- The blow tube has made a huge difference. The krausen no longer is blocking things up, though it has made its way up the tube- that won't be fun to clean. Smaller bubbles are forming rapidly now, like 1-4/second. Is it because of faster fermenting or the smaller hole? I suspect the latter.

The blow off tube setup


Day 12-  Still a lot of rapid bubbling. Nothing new.

Day 13- The krausen made its way to the water jug and had clogged everything up this morning, so no bubbles. I rinsed it out and started it up again. Bubbles are slower today, maybe 1 bubble every 1-2 seconds.

Day 14- Bubbles are way slow. One every 3-4 seconds. Time to move to secondary.

No comments:

Post a Comment