Saturday, February 5, 2011

Ovaltine Beer - Final Synopsis

Don't worry, all that residue is from the no-rinse cleaner.
Don't fear the...residue?
Day 23- Took gravity, it's at about 1.011. I returned the sample to the fermenter because there's so little to begin with, I don't want to waste any. Made me a little nervous, but I'm being very careful, sanitation wise. I couldn't resist, and kept a sample sip. It wasn't as bad as it smells, but pretty bitter. Maybe I overdid it on the hops.

Day 24- Gravity is the same.

Day 25- Gravity is the same, that means about 6.4% abv. Nice!

It's ready for bottling! I probably won't get a chance to do it until this weekend, though. In preparation. I set my bottles in an Oxyclean solution to loosen the labels.

Day 27- Stripped the labels and scoured off any remaining gunk. I put the bottles into a no-rinse cleaner bath.

Day 28- Bottling Day! The brew now smells sweeter, though still a bit sour. Color-wise, it still just looks like light chocolate milk, very opaque.

 
My 10 soldiers.
I always make one of my bottles clear so
 I can see the color and keep it as a souvenir.
Lots of trub left over.





















I'll condition them for a couple weeks, then report on the taste. Be sure to check back tomorrow night, when I move on to brew a Whole Apple Pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment