Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Apple Pie Ale- Brew Day



The pie was a small, generic apple pie from Target.
I wasn't going to waste anything good on this!
Finally got this post done. I apologize for the delay. It seems that fate was against me last week. I had problems with everything from supplies disappearing to my camera's batteries dieing. Whatever. Enough with the excuses, on to the beer.

1.5 lbs of apple pie
A couple weeks ago, you all voted a whole apple pie as my next "special ingredient," so on Sunday, I finally got around to making the beer. When designing the recipe, I wanted to keep the whole thing as simple as possible to limit the confounding variables that went into my beer. That all went out the window when I learned about Austin Homebrew's Magic Hop Dust. I just couldn't resist throwing it in.
Apple pie glob. Lots of spillage during straining.

My first idea was to draw inspiration from Tom Seefurth's Mamma Mia Pizza and just steep the pie in the mash for a while. After I did this, though, I tasted the results - not very apple-y at all. Tasted vaguely of cinnamon and crust. So, I just added the whole thing to the last 15 minutes of the boil and strained all the chunks out.

I chose White Lab's famous WLP001 because I've never used it and heard good things about its hardiness and taste. If all goes well, it may become my go-to yeast in these experiments.

Recipe: Apple Pie Ale- 1 Gallon

1 lb light malt extract
.1 ounces of Austin Homebrew's Magic Hop Dust (60 min)
.1 ounces of Magic Hop Dust (15 min)
1 Whole Apple Pie - approx 1.5 lbs - mashed in a bag at around 155 degrees for 15 minutes, added in the last 15 min of boil
White Labs California Ale Yeast- WLP001

OG- 1.042

Looks like pea soup

3 comments:

  1. I don't have the words to describe how ridiculous and awesome I think this is. I can't wait to hear back on the results of this one. I've been thinking of doing a spiced apple beer, but definitely not with a whole apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was the purpose of mashing when their are no enzymes? Upvote to cory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question- mostly, I was trying to impart the flavor without resorting to dumping the whole pie in the pot. Didn't work out, but it was worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete